No more than 25 hours a week unless approved in advance by the supervisor; Schedule determined by Program Director each program session if scheduled to work the particular session (corresponding memo with work hours generated by Program Director or Center Director each semester)
The athletic instructor provides and physical education programming for GCYC members as well as assists with the management of sports/fitness related program areas (gym, exercise room, dance room, storage areas, track, etc.) The position reports to the Program Director or the Center Director in the absence of the program director.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Prior experience instructing youth in sports required. Instruction experience in PE and fitness preferred.
- At least two years providing instruction to youth in an urban setting specifically teens
- Previous youth development experience in an out of school time setting is preferred
- Classroom management skills that are engaging and age appropriate
- Flexible schedule for evening and weekend hours
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Able to communicate effectively with students, co-workers, stakeholders and families
- Demonstrates strong accuracy in writing reports and communication
- Demonstrates understanding of youth development/programming principles
- Demonstrates an understanding of guidance and discipline principles as well as conflict resolution strategies
- Must demonstrate cultural competency, dedication to working with youth, families and community members in our care
- Competency in MS office applications specifically Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
Functions & Responsibilities
- Designs and Implements and /or manages GCYC physical education programs
- Proficient in the instruction of at least two team sports (football, soccer, basketball, volleyball are preferred)
- Maintains sports and fitness equipment as well as program areas (includes but not limited to the gym/theatre, locker rooms, sports storage areas, outdoor track)
- Serves as lead for midnight basketball and other sports related tournaments
- Attends all required meetings and trainings
- Assists with game room coverage when needed
- Lunch room and snack duty daily for meal service when assigned
- Responsible for obtaining sports equipment for equipment inventory
- Required to develop program plans; complete program evaluations and all other necessary reporting
- Assist the program director and other athletic/PE staff with the organization and implementation of athletic related special activities/events, as well as spring break & specialty camps
- Special projects as assigned by the Program Director or Center Director
- Assist in the organization and implementation of youth special activities/events, as well as spring break & specialty camps including Halloween, Holiday Bazaar, Black History Month Events, GCMS Fun Nights/Fests, Comer Awards.
- Support the mission of GCYC
- Work collaboratively in a team setting serving the needs of youth.
- Is committed to the safety and development of all GCYC members
- Takes on other duties as needed or as assigned
- Serves as a role model for youth and community
- Abides by the employee handbook and established GCYC policies and procedures
Experience & Education
- Two plus years of experience working directly with youth and program development preferred. Youth development/teaching certifications are a plus.
Physical Work Requirements
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to walk and be physically active throughout the day
- Standing and movement with youth during programs, field trips and special events throughout the day